Surrogacy is very necessary as it helps couples get children, especially if they cannot conceive by themselves. Some of the reasons why a couple would opt for surrogacy include:
- Where the woman is medically unable to conceive and carry a pregnancy.
- Where the risks associated with carrying a pregnancy are very high.
- Where the couple is of the same sex.
- Where the intended parent is single.
In the stated circumstances, surrogacy is one of the best methods to help the intended parents get children. Surrogacy is not only beneficial to the intended families but also the surrogate mothers. The most common motivation stated by surrogate mothers is the altruistic desire to help a childless couple. Other less commonly given reasons include enjoying the experience of pregnancy and financial compensation.
Surrogacy laws vary depending on the jurisdiction. These laws determine the legality of surrogacy and the requirements and qualifications of becoming a surrogate.
For you to be qualified to become a surrogate, you need to fulfill the following requirements that are listed below;
- You must be between 21 and 40 years old.
- Your Body Mass Index must be lower than 30.
- You must have given birth to at least one child without any complications during pregnancy.
- You must have at least one child for whom you have legal custody
- You should have a partner who approves of your commitment to helping a family through surrogacy.
- You must not be suffering from any sexually transmitted illnesses.
- You must be free from substance and illicit drug use, including alcohol dependence.
- You have to be a citizen or have legal residence in the country.
- You must be without a criminal record.
- You must be responsible and reliable.
After satisfying all the eligibility requirements, you will now follow through with the process to become a surrogate mother. The process involves medical and psychological evaluations, the contract stage, the pregnancy, and the compensation. Therefore, it is recommended that you consider finding an agency to partner with you in the journey to becoming a surrogate. It is essential that the agency is legitimate and has a good record of successfully helping women who were on the same journey of becoming surrogates.
Application; you will be required to fill in an application form provided by the agency. The agency will consider your application expressing your intention of becoming a surrogate, and once your application is accepted, the agency will contact you to proceed to the next stages. In the application stage, some of the information you will be required to provide include; your contact information, and pre-qualification questions to determine whether you are well suited to become a surrogate.